[logback-user] Building logback when tests fail

ceki ceki at qos.ch
Fri Oct 28 14:43:19 CEST 2011

Answers in-line.

On 28.10.2011 11:11, Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen wrote:
> Hi.
>
> After quite a bit of poking I found several things:
>
> * IntelliJ IDEA 9 didn't support the Scala facet.

OK although not surprising.

> * IntelliJ IDEA 10 Community Edition works.  You need to install the Scala
> facet _first_ and configure it inside IDEA, and under Windows install the
> latest git distribution before using the github method on the front page to
> pull out from a VCS.

Installing the Scala facet first is a good point. I had reached a
similar conclusion as well. As for git support in IDEA, I personally
prefer the command line and have no experience with IDEA's support for git.

> Now I have a workspace without compilation errors and absolutely no idea of
> how to continue from here in an IDE I am unfamiliar with.  It is a testament
> to the usefulness of logback that I even got this far without deciding my
> time is better used on something else.

Absolutely, imposing IDEA as the IDE for logback is not the most
inviting proposal for new contributors.

> May I suggest that you consider lowering the threshold of how much work is
> actually needed to be _able_ to contribute to logback?

Makes a lot of sense.

> If I want to add a few lines to the current "How to build logback"
> instructions on the web sites, I am expected to open a _bug report_
> preferably with a patch attached to the underlying html-pages which you then
> need to have time to approve, check in, rebuild and deploy the website.

You can fork logback on github, make your changes and submit a pull
request. Once your changes are verified, thet are fairly trivial to
merge. The changes will be available with the next release.

The only serious bottle neck is the verification. I sometimes reject or
delay good contributions.

> That is probably not optimal.  As you already know JIRA, you might also find
> Confluence (the Atlassian Wiki product) interesting, and it is free for open
> source projects
> (http://www.atlassian.com/software/views/open-source-license-request).

Currently, logback documentation consists of plain html file. These
files are in maintained in git under the logback-site module. Would
moving to Confluence entail that these files be migrated/moved into
Confluence?

> If you want to keep strict control of the official documentation, then just
> have a "Comments" link on the bottom of each page for a identically named
> page in Confluence.

What would that do?

> For now, I have decided that I will develop the JDK14Appender I need based
> on a binary logback distribution instead.

You can build logback under maven and let Eclipse pickup the .class
files associated with the STest test classes. Actually, working with the
binary has the same effect. Right?

> Thanks for your prompt help

That's the least I could do.