[logback-user] What support is needed to run with logback.groovy configuration?

Steve Cohen scohen at javactivity.org
Fri Jul 27 17:54:55 CEST 2012

I switched my application from using logback.xml to using
logback.groovy.  I just wanted to try it but off the bat, I much prefer
scanning through an easily alphabetized list of loggers in the groovy
file to the mess that you get with XML and lots of loggers.

However, my hopes for a quick success were dashed when I saw:

Groovy classes are not available on the class path.  ABORTING INITIALIZION.

What must I do to my application classpath to allow logback
configuration via groovy?  The manual does not seem to have any
information on this.

Also, I noticed via goggling the issue that JSON causes an issue with
groovy.  This will also impact me as our application makes use of JSON.

Thanks to anyone who can provide this information.

Steve Cohen