[logback-user] What support is needed to run with logback.groovy configuration?

Steve Cohen scohen at javactivity.org
Fri Jul 27 18:22:31 CEST 2012

On 07/27/2012 10:54 AM, Steve Cohen wrote:
> I switched my application from using logback.xml to using
> logback.groovy. I just wanted to try it but off the bat, I much prefer
> scanning through an easily alphabetized list of loggers in the groovy
> file to the mess that you get with XML and lots of loggers.
>
> However, my hopes for a quick success were dashed when I saw:
>
> Groovy classes are not available on the class path. ABORTING INITIALIZION.
>
> What must I do to my application classpath to allow logback
> configuration via groovy? The manual does not seem to have any
> information on this.
>
> Also, I noticed via goggling the issue that JSON causes an issue with
> groovy. This will also impact me as our application makes use of JSON.
>
> Thanks to anyone who can provide this information.
>
> Steve Cohen

I don't think groovy is going to work for me.  If I have to work this
hard to get it to work, that's too hard for now.  Tried importing
various groovy jars that are available via Maven, none of them got me
over the hump, plus there would still be the issue of how to turn that
off in production, etc.  I need something seamless.

So here's a question:

The one advantage I hoped to gain from Groovy is easier
searching/alphabetizing a large list of loggers.  Is anyone using an XML
tool that allows stuff like this to be done easily, as opposed to the
relative skimpily-featured XML editor that comes with Eclipsez/

I would like a view that showed the names of all the loggers and
alphabetized based on name.