[logback-user] Approaches to implement RFC5424 structured data support

Thilo-Alexander Ginkel thilo at ginkel.com
Mon Jun 18 13:28:33 CEST 2012

Hi there,

I was wondering whether anyone has so far been successful in
implementing RFC5424 [1] structured data syslog support using logback
(despite it probably being DOA [2] - the alternatives are IMHO
currently in a too early stage). In the archives I see one attempt at
a pretty invasive approach that altered the logback implementation
itself (unfortunately, the fork over at Github seems to be no longer
maintained) as well as a proposal [3] to use a custom encoder along
with a special "RFC5424Aware" interface.

Would the latter still be the preferred way to go? Reading through the
code, I guess a custom Layout (that knows how to deal with
RFC5424Aware instances) should also do the trick...

I guess one would also need to replace SyslogStartConverter due to the
changed message header...

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks,
Thilo