[logback-user] DBAppender with JNDI, JTDS

Greg Thomas greg.d.thomas at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 18:49:01 CET 2012

> I read a little about SQLDialect, but I appear to be missing the part that
> shows how to configure it, and there's no dialect for JTDS. Am I up the
> creek here, or is this possible?

It looks to me that something odd is going on. I assume you're
connecting to the same database in the end, but the DB Appender relies
on either
(a) the JDBC driver supporting the getGeneratedKeys() method, *or*
(b) the JDBC driver one of those listed at
http://logback.qos.ch/manual/appenders.html#DBAppender so the record
that was inserted can be retrieved using a DB specific statement. You
can't specify the dialect - it's detected from the driver class.
[Apologies if the above is teaching you to scuk eggs]

Now, there's no dialect for JTDS, so you have to rely on the
getGeneratedKeys() method. What I don't understand is why it works
with DriverManagerConnectionSource but not JNDIConnectionSource.

This doesn't help; I started writing a more helpful email, but by the
time I finished I realised what I'd started saying was wrong!
Apologies,

Greg