[logback-user] Grouping of log messages

Donald McLean dmclean62 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 14:21:10 CEST 2013

When there is some kind of event/request processing where all of the
activity takes place on a single thread, it is easy enough to add entries
marking the beginning and end of the processing. I don't know of any tools
(YET, still working on this) that can pull out individual transactions like
this, but at least they can be easily identified.

That's how I've been doing it anyway.

Donald

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 5:17 AM, Hamish Graham <hgraham at mtld.mobi> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We currently use Logback (+slf4j) for all the logging in our application.
> We have a number of servers and we plan to aggregate the log files and use
> something like logstash to view them all.
>
> Does anyone know of a way to group the logs for a given request for easier
> debugging of issues. App Engine does this and it is incredibly convenient
> as it is possible to quickly see the flow for each user's request. This
> screenshot (not mine) shows what I mean:
>

> http://gwt-log.googlecode.com/files/2009-04-15-gwt-log-RemoteLogger-App-Engine.png
>
> I'm not sure if this needs to be done at the logging side or not.
>
> Thanks,
> Hamish
>

> --
> The information contained in this message may be privileged and
> confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message
> is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for
> delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
> that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is
> please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it
> from your computer.
>
> dotMobi (Afilias Technologies Limited) is a private company limited by
> shares, incorporated and registered in the Republic of Ireland with
> registered number 398040 and registered office at First Floor, Fitzwilton
> House, Wilton Place, Dublin 2.

Family photographs are a critical legacy for
ourselves and our descendants. Protect that
legacy with a digital backup and recovery plan.