[logback-user] default delimiter for MDC?

Yoni Moses yoni.moses at gmail.com
Sun May 5 23:11:22 CEST 2013

Hi Ceki,

Thanks for the reply.

I've also tried David's suggestion before without any luck (although
logback doesn't yell it me, it doesn't use the default value as well)

BTW, I don't know if it helps or not, but in some config I've tried,
logback didn't threw exception but rather printed all the messages in one
line, seems like something I did made it ignore he %n flag.

my config file is below :

thanks,
Yoni

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<configuration>
<conversionRule conversionWord="host"

 converterClass="com.zao.utilities.logging.LogbackHostConverter" />

<conversionRule conversionWord="env"

 converterClass="com.zao.utilities.logging.LogbackEnvironmentConverter" />

<appender name="console" class="ch.qos.logback.core.ConsoleAppender">
<Encoding>UTF-8</Encoding>
<layout class="ch.qos.logback.classic.PatternLayout">
<pattern>[%-20thread] %d %-5level %-30logger{0} - %env %host
%X{req.xForwardedFor:-none} %X{mdc_username} %X{req.requestURI} -
%message%n</pattern>
</layout>
</appender>

<logger name="com.zao" level="DEBUG"/>
<logger name="org.springframework" level="WARN"/>
<logger name="org.springframework.beans" level="WARN"/>
<logger name="org.springframework.social" level="INFO"/>
<logger name="org.hibernate" level="WARN"/>
<logger name="org.apache" level="WARN"/>
<logger name="ch.qos" level="WARN"/>
<logger name="org.apache.http" level="WARN"/>

<!--
===========================================================================================================
-->
<!--  Root logger configuration
                                     -->
<!--
===========================================================================================================
-->
<root level="DEBUG">
<appender-ref ref="console"/>
</root>

</configuration>

On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 11:38 PM, ceki <ceki at qos.ch> wrote:

> Hi Yoni,
>
> Specifying a default value after ':-' should work. This is documented
> at [1]. As this feature is unit tested, I would expect it to work
> without problems. Could you please post your config file on this list?
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
> [1] http://logback.qos.ch/manual/**layouts.html#mdc<http://logback.qos.ch/manual/layouts.html#mdc>
>
> On 05.05.2013 19:22, David Roussel wrote:
>
>> Try
>>
>> %X{req.xForwardedFor,NONE}
>>
>> But :- would make more sense.
>>
>> David
>>
>> On 5 May 2013, at 18:18, Yoni Moses <yoni.moses at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>  Hi,
>>>
>>> I've been trying to use the new feature of the MDC without any luck..
>>> it's probably a silly question, but can someone please post exact format
>>> for it?
>>>
>>> I've tried it without any luck...
>>>
>>> from what I've seen in the examples it seems like
>>>
>>> %X{req.xForwardedFor:-NONE}
>>>
>>> should work.. but for me it keeps on saying:
>>> ScanException: Expecting }
>>>
>>> under Parser.expectCurlyRight
>>>
>>> version is 1.0.12 with slf4j 1.7.5
>>>

>>> Help is much appreciated ;)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Cheers,
>>> Yoni
>>>

> --
> Ceki
> 65% of statistics are made up on the spot

Cheers,
Yoni