[logback-user] creating an OutputstreamAppender

Michael Guymon michael at tobedevoured.com
Fri Sep 27 04:40:46 CEST 2013

Hello Logbackers,

I am trying to manually create an OutputstreamAppender that writes to a
ByteArrayOutputStream. I am stumped by a NPE at
LayoutWrappingEncoder.doEncode(LayoutWrappingEncoder). Here is a gist
what I have so far[1]. From all the examples I found on the web, it
appears correct. Sadly, it does not work.

What I find odd is that I am passing in a PatternEncoder, so how is the
LayoutWrappingEncoder being called?  My understanding was
LayoutWrappingEncoder was for deprecated Layouts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1: https://gist.github.com/mguymon/6723434

thanks,
Michael