[logback-user] SyslogAppender: "Will try to reconnect later"

Chris Martin ch.martin at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 10:56:44 CEST 2015

I'm perusing SyslogAppenderBase and noticed something that seems wrong.

If createOutputStream throws SocketException, the warning says "Failed to
bind to a random datagram socket. Will try to reconnect later." But it
doesn't increment errorCount, super.start gets called, and as far as I can
tell the `append` method will then throw NullPointerException attempting to
dereference `sos`. I see no code that tries to reconnect as the warning
message says it should.

Does this look like a mistake, or am I misreading something?