[logback-user] logback-classic 1.4.9 removes public method

Felix Krull felix.krull+qos at neuland-bfi.de
Mon Aug 7 10:14:57 CEST 2023

Hi,

apparently logback-classic 1.4.9 removed the public method
`configureByResource` from `ContextInitializer`, thereby breaking
backwards compatibility? The method was removed in a commit [1] which
made it into 1.4.9. It was deprecated in November of last year:  I don't
think this deprecation has ever been in a major release? Even if it had,
I'd say it's poor form to remove deprecated things in a patch release.

This breaks Play Framework [3] which uses the method for its logging
setup, making it impossible to upgrade to this patch version.

Regards, Felix

[1]:
https://github.com/qos-ch/logback/commit/4b06e062488e4cb87f22be6ae96e4d7d6350ed6b

[2]: