[logback-user] logback-classic 1.4.9 removes public method

m.kurz at irregular.at m.kurz at irregular.at
Sat Aug 12 15:16:47 CEST 2023

Hi!

Play Framework maintainer here.

> Copying the method into the  Play framework should be a relatively easy exercise.

I was looking into this and I think there is a nicer approach:
DefaultJoranConfigurator contains an identical configureByResource
method:
https://github.com/qos-ch/logback/blob/v_1.4.11/logback-classic/src/main/java/ch/qos/logback/classic/util/DefaultJoranConfigurator.java#L60-L73

Does something speak against using that method instead of copy/pasting
and introducing duplicated code?
I came up with a pull request to "fix" commit
4b06e062488e4cb87f22be6ae96e4d7d6350ed6b and remove the pasted method:
https://github.com/qos-ch/logback/pull/697

Let me know what you think.

BTW: Please do not remove methods and/or classes anymore in a patch
release (specially if you deprecated that method only a couple of
patch release before...)

Thanks!

Best,
Matthias