[reload4j] PR12 https://github.com/qos-ch/reload4j/pull/12

Ceki Gülcü ceki at qos.ch
Fri Jan 14 10:08:18 CET 2022

By a lot of work, I mean the work of hunting down the problems when they
are detected by the randomized tests.

Also such test sometimes/usually/mostly exercise the tests themselves
and then require a lot of work to "resist" the randomized tests.

So it is really not just about putting in place randomized testing with
a few config lines. It involves a lot of maintenance work down the line.

On 1/14/2022 10:01 AM, Ceki Gülcü wrote:

> On 1/14/2022 9:00 AM, Vladimir Sitnikov wrote:
>>> I am coming from afar and had not heard of Github Actions previously.
>>> However, I am somewhat familiar with Travis and its predecessor (name?).
>>
>> GitHub Actions is similar to Travis, and the key differences are:
>> a) Travis is dying nowadays (they have strict limits, etc)
>> b) Actions are better integrated with GitHub UI
>> c) Actions are more powerful
>>
>> For instance, GitHub Actions allow randomizing test matrix on the fly,
>> so you can have good coverage without hard-coding all the possibilities
>> and without waiting for the feedback for hours.
>>
>> I'm planning to switch matrix generation to
>> https://github.com/vlsi/github-actions-random-matrix
>> <https://github.com/vlsi/github-actions-random-matrix> a bit later.
>> That would introduce testing with unusual locales, unusual languages,
>> JVMs, etc.
>
> That sounds amazing but also a lot of work. But amazing...
>
> I am still looking at the GitHub Actions PR.
>

>> Vladimir

Please contact support(at)qos.ch for donations, sponsorship or support
contracts related to SLF4J/logback/reload4j projects.