[slf4j-dev] Logger.debug(String, Object[])?

Ceki Gülcü listid at qos.ch
Fri Aug 5 18:17:49 CEST 2005

At 05:14 PM 8/5/2005, you wrote:
>On Friday 05 August 2005 17:29, Ceki Gülcü wrote:
> > The Object[] param form has been requested very frequently. It's quite
> > a reasonable request. As such, you can expect method accepting
> > Object[] as parameter to be added in the near future.
>
>Didn't we at some point say that
>
>  void debug( String format, Object args );
>
>can quite easily take the
>
>   logger.debug( "{} : {} : {}", new Object[] { arg1, arg2, arg3 } );
>
>and therefor the proposed signature would not be needed, but support in
>runtime...

Although technically possible to fold the Object[] argument in to
Object, wouldn't it be clearer to users if the Object[] form was
available *explicitly* as an additional method?

What proportion of java developers do not know that Object[] can be
cast as an Object? If as I suspect many developers ignore the
possibility, wouldn't the cost of the extra 8 (=2 x 4) methods offset
by the gain in clarity?