[slf4j-dev] Logger.debug(String, Object[])?

Niclas Hedhman niclas at hedhman.org
Fri Aug 5 19:20:33 CEST 2005

On Saturday 06 August 2005 00:17, Ceki Gülcü wrote:
> Although technically possible to fold the Object[] argument in to
> Object, wouldn't it be clearer to users if the Object[] form was
> available *explicitly* as an additional method?
>
> What proportion of java developers do not know that Object[] can be
> cast as an Object? If as I suspect many developers ignore the
> possibility, wouldn't the cost of the extra 8 (=2 x 4) methods offset
> by the gain in clarity?

I think I possibly can agree that it makes sense. I am normally pro-clarity
:o)

Interesting to note that 8 new methods here == "not much for a bit of
documentation in code", and a single convenience method over at OSGi folks is
a "no no", with the argument that all constrained implementations will suffer
as a result.

Cheers
Niclas