[slf4j-dev] 1.8.0-SNAPSHOT Branch: how can I build this?

Wessel van Norel delgurth at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 17:34:02 CEST 2019

Hello,

@Ceki Gülcü
Thanks for approving the 1.7 release commit.

I’ve tried to also add it to the 1.8.0-SNAPSHOT branch, but I couldn’t
get a build for that branch working quickly. First I had to get a jdk6
and configure the m2 toolchain, but after that it still failed to
build on the module-info. After moving that to a java9 directory, as
you did in master, it still didn’t work. This because now the 1.6 jdk
build was failing on a --release flag given to the javac command.
After that I gave up, since I’m not sure if you are still working on
1.8 or that you decided to release a 2.0 to make the breaking
character of the changes more clearly.

Another thing that I noted during my backporting work was the build
has flaky tests, at least on my machine. At least two tests based on
the MultithreadedInitializationTest sometimes fail on the last
assertTrue in this abstract test. I’ll investigate this further.

One remaining question. I moved 2 methods from MessageFormatter to
Util. I thought that it was ok to do so because one of them was
package private and the other was private. But you moved them back to
the MessageFormatter. Is that because it was package private before?
So are only private methods ok to change and all other should be
considered stable?

Kind regards,
Wessel