[slf4j-dev] 1.8.0-SNAPSHOT Branch: how can I build this?

Ceki Gülcü ceki at qos.ch
Wed Aug 14 18:47:28 CEST 2019

Hi Wessel,

Comments inline.

On 14/08/2019 17:34, Wessel van Norel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> @Ceki Gülcü
> Thanks for approving the 1.7 release commit.

My pleasure.

> I’ve tried to also add it to the 1.8.0-SNAPSHOT branch, but I couldn’t
> get a build for that branch working quickly. First I had to get a jdk6
> and configure the m2 toolchain, but after that it still failed to
> build on the module-info. After moving that to a java9 directory, as
> you did in master, it still didn’t work. This because now the 1.6 jdk
> build was failing on a --release flag given to the javac command.
> After that I gave up, since I’m not sure if you are still working on
> 1.8 or that you decided to release a 2.0 to make the breaking
> character of the changes more clearly.

I have attached my copy of toolschains.xml used to build SLF4J 1.8.x for
sake of completeness. As you can see, I was using Java 8 to provide Java
8 (D'oh) functionality and Java 11 to provide Java 9 functionality.

In SLF4J 2.0, which relies on Multi-release jars, toolschains are no
longer required. You just need to Java 11 to build things. This is miuch
simpler.  SLF4J 2.0 build on top of 1.8.x but adds fluent-api which is
kind of a big deal.

> Another thing that I noted during my backporting work was the build
> has flaky tests, at least on my machine. At least two tests based on
> the MultithreadedInitializationTest sometimes fail on the last
> assertTrue in this abstract test. I’ll investigate this further.

Yes, that happens to me as well. The problem is relatively hard to
reproduce. I tried to tackle it in the past and had always failed.

> One remaining question. I moved 2 methods from MessageFormatter to
> Util. I thought that it was ok to do so because one of them was
> package private and the other was private. But you moved them back to
> the MessageFormatter. Is that because it was package private before?
> So are only private methods ok to change and all other should be
> considered stable?

You can move private methods around. However, I felt that Util was not a
better place than MessageFormatter and moved it back. I wrote a comment
about this in github which has apparently fallen though the cracks.

Best,