[slf4j-user] Why 'simple' uses standard out?

Trustin Lee trustin at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 10:23:21 CET 2006

On 2/24/06, Kostis Anagnostopoulos <ankostis at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/23/06, Ceki Gülcü <listid at qos.ch> wrote:
> > Is the 'stdout' 'stderr' distinction really important to you or is it
> more
> > a matter of preference?
>
> My answer is No.          To both!
>
> Here is why i say no to both of your questions:
>
> I'm making text-parsing code that is used at the same time to a
> cmd-line utility and to an EJB. So,
> -it is not important *for me* because i use slf4j-log4j.jar in both
> situations, and
> -it is not just a matter of preference, because slf4j-simple.jar as it
> is, is not an option for the cmd-line tool.  This is a defect!
>
> I consider 'simple' useful for when to run in pre-1.4 VMs with no JDK
> logging support and log4j is just too much.
> That is why a really think the distinction is really important, in
> general.

I'm OK only if the log messages are written to one file descriptor.  stderr
is also a good idea.  For example, gcc, other GNU applications, and
java.util.loggging writes messages to stderr by default.

So here's my +1.

Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP key fingerprints:
* B693 628E 6047 4F8F CFA4  455E 1C62 A7DC 0255 ECA6