[slf4j-user] Slightly OT: configuring Hibernate logging level and SLF4J using JDK 1.4 logger

Karsten Wutzke kwutzke at web.de
Thu Dec 9 17:17:51 CET 2010

>You are misunderstanding the entire SLF4J/Logging paradigm. You don't tell Hibernate (or SLF4J) what to log - you tell the logging backend what to do with the messages Hibernate logged. And to do that you need to configure the logging backend.

The misleading path is probably that in EclipseLink, there are options

<property name="eclipselink.logging.level" value="INFO" />
<property name="eclipselink.logging.level.sql" value="FINE" />

to tell the ORM what to log, so I'm not as far off the track as you might think. I had hoped for a similar option in Hibernate. (I'm indeed not a fan of logging so far.)

I don't necessarily want to dump *all* incoming INFO level messages, just the ones that Hibernate produces. This appears to be impossible now.