[slf4j-user] Migrating from commons-logging

Ceki Gülcü ceki at qos.ch
Fri Aug 12 19:21:41 CEST 2011

There must be something else going. Are the pom files public, if not,
can you send more lines output by dependency:tree? (You can obfuscate
group names and/or send the file directly to me).

On 12/08/2011 7:05 PM, Douglas Ferguson wrote:
> I am explicitly including ws-core
>
> If I'm reading this properly.. I have ws-core is a primary dependency. I.E. It is not a child.
>
> [INFO] +- org.springframework.ws:spring-xml:jar:2.0.0.RELEASE:compile
> [INFO] +- org.springframework.ws:spring-ws-core:jar:2.0.0.RELEASE:compile
> [INFO] |  +- wsdl4j:wsdl4j:jar:1.6.1:compile
> [INFO] |  \- commons-logging:commons-logging:jar:1.1.1:compile
>

> On Aug 12, 2011, at 11:57 AM, Ceki Gülcü wrote:
>
>> On 12/08/2011 6:13 PM, Chris Pratt wrote:
>>> My guess is you're not seeing the actual inclusion of the
>>> commons-logging.jar, but the API's included in that jar.
>>
>> No, that cannot be correct. Maven does not know about the contents of
>> artifacts. So it cannot know about APIs. All Maven knows are
>> dependency declarations.
>>
>>> If the API exists, programmers can use it, regardless of the jar file
>>> name that contains it.  So whether it's commons-logging.jar of
>>> jcl-over-slf4j.jar the API is available for 3rd party libraries (like
>>> Spring) AND your programmers, and (as far as I'm aware) there's
>>> nothing Maven can do about that fact.  Same for Log4j, since the
>>> log4j.jar file has to be there for slf4j-log4j12.jar to work, your
>>> programmers can use it as well.
>>
>> Yep, that sounds correct.
>>
>> Coming back to the original exclusion problem, can it be that
>> spring-ws-core is declared elsewhere? Which dependency does
>> spring-ws-core.jar come from? In other words what's above this line?
>>
>> [INFO]+- org.springframework.ws:spring-ws-core:jar:2.0.0.RELEASE:compile
>>
>> HTH,
>> --
>> Ceki

QOS.ch, main sponsor of cal10n, logback and slf4j open source projects,
is looking to hire talented software developers. For further details,
see http://logback.qos.ch/job.html