[slf4j-user] Apache style log fromats

Chad La Joie lajoie at itumi.biz
Thu Nov 3 14:59:27 CET 2011

We have a couple cases now where a facility like Apache's HTTPD
logging mechanism would be nice.  Specifically where, when an "event"
is logged, what is provided is just a map of values and no format
string.  Then the the individual configuring logging configures a
formatting string that controls what actually gets written out to the
log file.

>From an SLF4J API perspective, I think this probably just means
trace/debug/info/warn/error methods that take a map instead of a
format and set of objects.  It may even possible to do the actual
implementation by just creating an MDC, add all the map information,
calling the current logging methods with an empty format string, and
then clearing out MDC, or something like that.

Thoughts?

--
Chad La Joie
www.itumi.biz