[slf4j-user] How to render slf4j useless/gone ?

tommmmmm tommmmmm at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 11:11:42 CEST 2012

I am using Selenium and HttpClient 4.x (from Apache).

At some point in time I decided to start using log4j to log
HttpClient's debug output. However I got no output at all. After a
total of 28hours of pure work and 70+ messages at 4 different places
(mailing groups and forums) and around 20 different (yet not working)
ideas on how to set up log4j it came down to this:

When I remove selenium-standalone-2.20-0.jar from the classpath the
logging features for HttpClient suddenly start to work. Furthermore -
they work off the bat, without any additional tweaking.

After digging deeper it was revealed that selenium-standalone-2.20.0.jar is
using slf4j
and slf4j is rendering both log4j and commons-logging useless.

Since selenium is distributed as a single jar + their mailing list is
silent about the case I thought I would ask here:

How can I render slf4j useless/gone so I can keep using both HttpClient and
Selenium?