[slf4j-user] Logger in subclass in NULL

Ulrich Forums at gombers.de
Fri Jun 7 08:14:47 CEST 2013

Thank you for your explanation. It's almost the same I had thought of myself but
I appreciate being approved (thank you for your sample); it's improves self
confidence.
Thank you for the hint making it static - this fixed it. I started using the
Logger as a static class but I like naming it dynamically (this.getClass()) -
it's a lot easier to maintain it. I sometimes move the classes from one package
to another or rename a package and I would need to change the name every time
then.

brgds,
Ulrich

> Robert Elliot <rob at lidalia.org.uk> hat am 6. Juni 2013 um 18:33 geschrieben:
>

> Loggers do not need to be static, and there's no particular reason why they
> would be beyond normal reasons why you might make a variable static. Though in
> this case making them static would fix the problem.
>
> Ulrich - inherently your problem has nothing to do with SLF4J, it's a pure
> Java bug in your code. The first thing the constructor of a sub class does is
> call the constructor on the super class. It will do this before initialising
> any fields defined in the subclass. If you call an over-ridden method in the
> constructor of the super class which uses a field on the sub-class, it will be
> uninitialised.

..snip..