[slf4j-user] RFC: slf4j-fluent

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Wed Feb 13 20:31:50 CET 2019

Am 13.02.19 um 18:18 schrieb Federico Fissore:
> One solution is to change package of slf4j-fluent from
> "org.fissore.slf4j" to "org.slf4j", but it seems politically incorrect

It's not just "politically incorrect". The JVM ecosystem is moving
towards disallowing classes from different jars in the same package; I'm
not 100% what Java versions make this an enforceable policy, but you can
bet that any OSGi framework will enforce this as soon as possible just
to get inter-module interference unter control.

> What do you think?

My answer would be: keep everything in their package and add a mechanism
to SLF4J that tells it to ignore yet another package. Or maybe do it by
convention ("any package that ends in .slf4j should be ignored" could
work, too).

I think it's an SLF4J API issue, not something that plugins can handle
on their own.

Regards,
Jo