[slf4j-user] Slf4j 2.0 future

Joakim Erdfelt joakim.erdfelt at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 14:41:25 CEST 2021

Hey Ceki,

Hi from the Eclipse Jetty project.
We've been supporting slf4j in Eclipse Jetty since Jetty 5.x (and slf4j
1.1.0)

Recently (in the past 2 years), we moved to slf4j 2.0 because it was our
favorite logging facade and had support for JPMS. (proper JPMS support was
the huge deciding factor)
We did this with our Jetty 10.x series (and Jetty 11.x series), which have
had 4 stable releases each so far.
We have a JPMS web server with a JPMS based logging facade.

We've had great success, and even wrote our own minimal implementation of
slf4j-api 2.0 that we use for our minimal deployments (even supporting
JPMS).
https://github.com/eclipse/jetty.project/tree/jetty-10.0.x/jetty-slf4j-impl

This in turn has encouraged others to adopt slf4j 2.0 as well, including
the Eclipse IDE itself.
This means we now have an OSGi manifest requirement that is being worked
out as I write this.

We have hundreds of thousands of installations of Eclipse Jetty 10+ active
around the world now, all with slf4j 2.0 running.

However, there's been a slow drum beat of criticism that says slf4j looks
like a dead project with an absent developer community.

I want to see slf4j survive and continue to be the awesome project we've
grown to love.

Is there anything you need help with?
I'll be happy to help.
Do you need help addressing or verifying anything from the JIRA issues to
progress?

Thanks again,
Joakim Erdfelt (Eclipse Jetty committer)