[cai18n-dev] Type safe message definition

Ceki Gulcu ceki at qos.ch
Fri Aug 28 17:05:30 CEST 2009

Takeshi Kondo wrote:
> Hello Ceki
>
> I don't like to write property file(because I must execute native2ascii
> to property file in Japanese) , but main point is IDE support.

> Because Enum and Annotation is in Java syntax, IDE inform quickly error
> to me in saving code.
> Verification approach can't check consistency on no execution. It don't
> utilize typed language advantage.
>
> IMO, the advantage of typed language like as Java and C# than dynamic
> language like as Ruby and Python is to inform error in compiling time.
> Japanese famous engineer Yasuo Higa have been creating excellent
> features from this concept.
> (see Tyep safe query:  http://sites.google.com/site/slim3appengine/Home ).
> I like this concept.
>
> What do you think about IDE support?

I agree. IDE support is an important aspect of the problem.

However, I don't think developers/translators would have much patience
for a verbose format. Currently, CAI18N strikes a nice balance between
complexity and usability, in accordance with the Pareto principle that
Yasuo Higa refers to.

IDE support would probably gel CAI18N as the i18n API of choice. I am
pretty confident that one could enhance CAI18N for IDE support even if
resource files are used. After all, a resource file is written in a
very simple key=value "language". If an IDE plugin can support type
checking for Java classes it can easily support checks for resource
bundles. (If you can run, then you can surely walk.) More concretely,
it all depends on the properties editor of the IDE and the
extensions/hooks it supports.

Adding IDE support for CAI18N would be a very nice sub-project. I have
some experience developing Eclipse plugins. Do you have IDE
development experience?