[cal10n-dev] Better annotations?

Rick Beton rick.beton at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 22:49:13 CEST 2009

2009/9/4 Ceki Gulcu <ceki at qos.ch>

> <snipped>
> If I understand you correctly, the spreadsheet would be used to
> transform a resource bundle from one encoding to another? It would
> read in one encoding and write in another. Right?

No, sorry I didn't explain it more clearly.  The spreadsheet would be 'the'
source file for all the languages in a bundle. Each language has its own
column. The first column lists the keys so that reading across each row, the
key is followed by one or more language strings, each in a different
language and each being a translation of the others.

Using the spreadsheet, the hypothetical compiler would simply extract the
keys and in turn each language column would produce a corresponding
properties file. The properties file encoding can be whatever you want (so
choose UTF-8 or stick with nasty old 'native2ascii' ASCII files). Or output
to XML.

IIUC, spreadsheets allow the complexities of character encoding to be hidden
from the user.

In my limited experience of working with translation services, this is an
approach they like.

Rick
--
Big Bee Consultants Limited : Registered in England & Wales No. 6397941
Registered Office: 71 The Hundred, Romsey, Hampshire, SO51 8BZ