[cal10n-dev] Eclipse plug-in update

TBlack blacktate at yahoo.it
Mon Aug 16 14:33:58 CEST 2010

 Hi again.

Sorry  for disappearing, but real life got quite in the way, through  packing
for an unplanned move which is not yet complete; somewhat  disrupting.

Moreover, I decided to work on making the plug-in builds automatic -  it's a
simple plug-in, and it's easy to export the plug-in as an Update  Site as-is,
but in the past I had a difficult time tracking releases and  bugs with such
deployment style (obviously). So I delved into Eclipse  Buckminster, and it took
quite a few days to have a working Buckminster  build coming from a local Hudson
server.

Anyway, this means that an update site is now available, at:

http://eclipse.tatablack.net/ecal10n/latest

This should contain, as the name highlights, the latest code available,  mostly
for testing purposes. I plan to have another update site for  released (stable)
builds, as soon as ECal10n is feature-complete.

I've also started documenting the plug-in; I'm attaching a PDF which  describes
how it works, with the help of a couple of screenshots. One  thing missing from
the PDF is the fact that, in order to have quick  fixes available inside
property files (that is, Ctrl+1 while on a  property name, in case of
missing-item-in-enum), you have to explicitly  open the property file with the
ECal10n Property Editor (right click on  the file in the package explorer, Open
with -> ECal10n Property Editor).  I decided not to make it the default editor
for property files, at least  for now.

Last note: unfortunately, right now the plug-in requires Eclipse 3.6  (Helios)
and Java 6. Judging from the features used, it should be  possible to make it
backward-compatible for both (to encourage adoption  and, above all, because I
realize that Cal10n requires only Java 5), but  I decided to focus on features
for the time being.

A.