[cal10n-dev] Eclipse plug-in update

Ceki Gülcü ceki at qos.ch
Fri Aug 20 23:34:38 CEST 2010

On 16/08/2010 2:33 PM, TBlack wrote:
>   Hi again.
>
> Sorry  for disappearing, but real life got quite in the way, through  packing
> for an unplanned move which is not yet complete; somewhat  disrupting.

Sorry for not replying earlier. :-)

> Moreover, I decided to work on making the plug-in builds automatic -  it's a
> simple plug-in, and it's easy to export the plug-in as an Update  Site as-is,
> but in the past I had a difficult time tracking releases and  bugs with such
> deployment style (obviously). So I delved into Eclipse  Buckminster, and it took
> quite a few days to have a working Buckminster  build coming from a local Hudson
> server.
>

> Anyway, this means that an update site is now available, at:
>
> http://eclipse.tatablack.net/ecal10n/latest

The above URL is for installing the plugin in Eclipse. However, you
should also have a web site documenting the plugin. If such a site were
available, the cal10n site would gladly link to it.

> This should contain, as the name highlights, the latest code available,  mostly
> for testing purposes. I plan to have another update site for  released (stable)
> builds, as soon as ECal10n is feature-complete.

Having a web-site for a product helps greatly in increasing its
adoption. I'd spend a little time putting together a web-site.

> I've also started documenting the plug-in; I'm attaching a PDF which  describes
> how it works, with the help of a couple of screenshots. One  thing missing from
> the PDF is the fact that, in order to have quick  fixes available inside
> property files (that is, Ctrl+1 while on a  property name, in case of
> missing-item-in-enum), you have to explicitly  open the property file with the
> ECal10n Property Editor (right click on  the file in the package explorer, Open
> with ->  ECal10n Property Editor).  I decided not to make it the default editor
> for property files, at least  for now.

Is the source code for ecal10n available somewhere?

> Last note: unfortunately, right now the plug-in requires Eclipse 3.6  (Helios)
> and Java 6. Judging from the features used, it should be  possible to make it
> backward-compatible for both (to encourage adoption  and, above all, because I
> realize that Cal10n requires only Java 5), but  I decided to focus on features
> for the time being.

Requiring Helios and JDK 6 is fine.

I am looking forward to using this plugin in a future project.

Cheers,