[logback-dev] Git as a version control system?

Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen ravn at runjva.com
Fri Aug 7 12:48:56 CEST 2009

Joern Huxhorn skrev:

> On 07.08.2009, at 10:30, Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen wrote:
>
>> Ceki Gulcu skrev:
>>>
>>> My question is then whether moving to git is worth the trouble and
>>> whether it will encourage contributions by making it easier for
>>> developers to contribute. From a strictly personal point of view, the
>>> fact that git works in disconnected mode is a killer feature.
>> Since you are the project leader, and the primary committer, I
>> believe you should do whatever you think allows you to be more
>> efficient while still allowing others to provide patches.
>>
>> I agree with Robert that good tooling is essential.
>>

> There is a Java implementation of git available at
> http://www.jgit.org/ so I guess tooling (Maven, Eclipse) is really
> just a question of time. The current IDEA is already supporting git.
>
> I've never used GIT beside checking out a repository but I have only
> heard praise from people that are using it regularly. For Windows,
> http://code.google.com/p/tortoisegit/ seems to do a pretty good job.
> For Mac OS X there's a tool called GitX http://gitx.frim.nl/ but I
> haven't tried it yet. Looks promising.
>
> You can find a seemingly very good book on GIT at
> http://progit.org/book/ - reading it is still pretty high on my TODO
> list.
>
> I'd like to encourage that you give it a try - that way I have to do
> the same ;)
He he, pacing yourself through pacing others.

I have never used GIT either, but the reputation of Linus Thorvalds
alone makes it considerable.

Personally I do not have any preferences, and I believe the most
important factor is making Ceki as productive as possible.  I just say
that this is very important software and it is a non-trivial task to
change, so it should not be taken lightly.

--
  Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen  "...plus... Tubular Bells!"