[logback-dev] Git as a version control system?

Joern Huxhorn jhuxhorn at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 7 13:00:36 CEST 2009

On 07.08.2009, at 12:48, Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen wrote:

> Joern Huxhorn skrev:

>>> Since you are the project leader, and the primary committer, I
>>> believe you should do whatever you think allows you to be more
>>> efficient while still allowing others to provide patches.
>>>
>>> I agree with Robert that good tooling is essential.
>>>

>> There is a Java implementation of git available at http://www.jgit.org/
>>  so I guess tooling (Maven, Eclipse) is really just a question of
>> time. The current IDEA is already supporting git.
>>
>> I've never used GIT beside checking out a repository but I have
>> only heard praise from people that are using it regularly. For
>> Windows, http://code.google.com/p/tortoisegit/ seems to do a pretty
>> good job. For Mac OS X there's a tool called GitX http://gitx.frim.nl/
>>  but I haven't tried it yet. Looks promising.
>>
>> You can find a seemingly very good book on GIT at http://progit.org/book/
>>  - reading it is still pretty high on my TODO list.
>>
>> I'd like to encourage that you give it a try - that way I have to
>> do the same ;)
> He he, pacing yourself through pacing others.

Yep :)

> I have never used GIT either, but the reputation of Linus Thorvalds
> alone makes it considerable.
> Personally I do not have any preferences, and I believe the most
> important factor is making Ceki as productive as possible.  I just
> say that this is very important software and it is a non-trivial
> task to change, so it should not be taken lightly.

I absolutely agree.
However, Ceki can try it out locally and will still be able to use SVN
side-by-side. A co-worker in my company is using it that way. We have
SVN as our main repository and he is working on local GIT repositories
that are committed to SVN when he thinks his code is ready.

It *has* some very nice features, I must admit... e.g. Stashing http://progit.org/book/ch6-3.html

Joern.