[logback-dev] RFC: LoggingEvent redesign

Ceki Gulcu ceki at qos.ch
Wed Feb 25 16:55:11 CET 2009

Joern Huxhorn wrote:
> I'm wondering how others are using Logback... I've always enabled caller
> data and can live with the fact that it's somewhat slower if actually
> logging something but very fast if no log event is actually generated...

Computing caller data as a global option is an interesting idea,
especially considering that it will be computed only for enabled
logging statements, as you have justly noted.

Another parameter which was not mentioned, is the depth of the caller
data. In a real-world system where the stack depth can 30 levels or
more, caller data will be very large compared to the rest of the
event. When considering a series of logging event, caller data will
compress very well, although I must confess that I never imagined
caller data to be deployed on a regular basis on production systems. I
saw caller data as normally disabled, but which can be enabled when
absolutely necessary.

Joern, you seem to use a different model.