[logback-dev] RFC: LoggingEvent redesign

Ralph Goers rgoers at apache.org
Thu Feb 26 07:36:22 CET 2009

On Feb 25, 2009, at 7:35 AM, Ceki Gulcu wrote:

> Ralph Goers wrote:
>> I don't take offense at technical discussions on mailing lists. A
>> lot can get misinterpreted. Instead, I suggest you take a look at
>> the code and see if you think it is a horrible idea.  What I'm
>> currently actually using, but would replace with this, does have
>> more knowledge of Logback, specifically so it can pass the objects
>> to the Appender. Unfortunately (at least I think so), SLF4J's
>> LocationAwareLogger doesn't provide a method to pass that
>> information along.
>
> I was meaning to ask. Why do you need support from
> LocationAwareLogger for argument arrays if you are going to use
> logback-classic underneath SLF4J?

I'm not sure what you are getting at here. The implementation I wrote
for myself used Logback's filterAndLog method if the implementation
being used was logback and Log4j's log method when it was the
implementation, both of which support passing objects. However, I
wouldn't want to directly tie SLF4J to any implementation. Am I
misunderstanding something?

Ralph