[logback-dev] RFC: LoggingEvent redesign

Ceki Gulcu ceki at qos.ch
Thu Feb 26 09:44:03 CET 2009

Ralph Goers wrote:

> On Feb 25, 2009, at 7:35 AM, Ceki Gulcu wrote:
>
>> I was meaning to ask. Why do you need support from LocationAwareLogger
>> for argument arrays if you are going to use logback-classic underneath
>> SLF4J?
>
> I'm not sure what you are getting at here. The implementation I wrote
> for myself used Logback's filterAndLog method if the implementation
> being used was logback and Log4j's log method when it was the
> implementation, both of which support passing objects. However, I
> wouldn't want to directly tie SLF4J to any implementation. Am I
> misunderstanding something?

SLF4J must not be tied to any particular implementation. There is no
misunderstanding about that. I just had not seen

public class EventLogger {

   .... omitted code

   public static void logEvent(EventData data) {
     if (eventLogger.instanceofLAL) {
       ((LocationAwareLogger) eventLogger.logger).log(EVENT_MARKER, FQCN,
           LocationAwareLogger.ERROR_INT, data.toXML(), null);
     } else {
       eventLogger.logger.error(EVENT_MARKER, data.toXML(), data);
     }
   }

In light of the above, requesting that the LocationAwareLogger.log
method admit an argumentArray parameters makes sense. Given that there
are implementations of the LocationAwareLogger interface outside
slf4j.org, I don't think the LocationAwareLogger interface can be
changed lightly. However, the issue certainly merits a bugzilla
entry. Ralph, may I ask you to enter a bugzilla bug report in relation
with this topic? TIA.