[logback-dev] What is the most efficient way - preferrably platform agnostic - to submit events from "the outside"?

Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen ravn at runjva.com
Sat Feb 28 10:50:05 CET 2009

Joern Huxhorn skrev:

> I tried to provide some explanations and background informations about
> the way my multiplex appender is working.

Could you say why you've named it multiplex appender?  I've missed it if
you said it already?  Perhaps because it can send to multiple receivers?

> http://apps.sourceforge.net/trac/lilith/wiki/MultiplexAppenderBackground
>
> Additionally, I collected some pitfalls of other appenders.
>
> http://apps.sourceforge.net/trac/lilith/wiki/AppenderPitfalls
>
> I'm not sure if I succeeded in explaining the complexity of my
> appender but I tried my best, for sure ;)

If I understand your writeup correctly there are three basic issues you
are dealing with:

* detecting if a receiver goes away
* flattening events at the proper time to ensure that the contents is
right when deserialized
* buffering events to ensure the application can run at full speed
independently from the speed of the receivers

The first one, should it be enough to detect a broken TCP/IP connection?

I am still pondering on a language agnostic receiver.   The reason for
the XML being uninteresting was because it was much more verbose than
the plain serialised byte object?  Would a sufficiently terse
xml-dialect be interesting?  I was thinking of having one-character node
names and attribute names? (and moving the namespace outside the fragments).

--
  Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen  "...plus... Tubular Bells!"