[logback-dev] Throwable.getSuppressed()

ceki ceki at qos.ch
Fri Nov 4 17:22:33 CET 2011

On 04/11/2011 9:46 AM, Joern Huxhorn wrote:
> Hi Ceki,
> thanks a lot!
> I just merged my pull request.
>
> Now we'd need to decide how support should be added to
> • ch.qos.logback.classic.db.DBAppender
> • ch.qos.logback.classic.html.DefaultThrowableRenderer
> • ch.qos.logback.classic.net.SyslogAppender
> • ch.qos.logback.classic.pattern.ThrowableProxyConverter
> • ch.qos.logback.classic.spi.ThrowableProxyUtil.asString

I'd start with ThrowableProxyConverter and build from
there. Annoyingly enough, testing this feature would require JDK 1.7
which in turn would force the build to require JDK 1.7. Alternatively,
we could populate ThrowableProxy with suppressed exceptions and have
the tests work from there (without requiring JDK 1.7). Any other ideas?

 > I've taken a look at the LBCLASSIC-296 code (both
 > https://github.com/chrisdolan/logback/commit/eb1b03ac72f
 > and https://github.com/chrisdolan/logback/commit/01c4b1776 )
 > and it looks quite reasonable to me.

They do look reasonable.

> Unfortunately, OSGi isn't something I have a lot of experience with - so I can only say "Yes, looks reasonable".
> I'd suggest that Chris pulls in my changes and creates a branch with his changes so we can just pull them in.

Yes, we can ask him. I'll contact him.

Yes, compile+optional is what we do elsewhere.