[logback-user] Number of logs

Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen ravn at runjva.com
Tue Sep 23 18:06:51 CEST 2008

Greg Flex skrev:
> I didn't "touch" the configuration of MySQL at all. I assume it's the
> normal/standard configuration that comes with it.....
> I ran the program again for some time last night. I wrote one log.xxx
> then paused the thread for about 100ms then wrote another log.xxx
> I managed to write 39,000 logs to MySQL without any problems. It looks
> to me then that the "speed" has something to do here.
> If writting too fast (too many records at once) to the database (both
> MySQL and HSQLDB) they simply "choke"....
> I don't know however if this is the problem; just my observations.....
>  Do you think this might cause it?
> Greg.
I am not thinking of the configuration of the database software as such
but of the configuration of the computer which runs the database software.

I suspect that you have less physical memory available to the database
than they think they can use, hence the operating system starts swapping
which kills performance.

Can you please describe your setup in detail so we can replicate the
scenario?  I.e. number of computers involved, connections between them,
network performance, memory assigned, operating systems used, etc.

/Thorbjørn