[logback-user] executing configuration changes

Ralph Goers rgoers at apache.org
Wed Jan 19 15:54:36 CET 2011

1. We wrote a servlet filter that inspects the configuration periodically and resets the configuration if the file has changed. When running as a web app this will incur less overhead than the turbo filter.
2. The architecture of Logback is such that when a reconfigure occurs all the filters and appenders are removed first so it is almost guaranteed that events will be lost during a reconfiguration.  I've been working on Log4J 2.0 which was designed to not have this design defect.

Ralph