[logback-user] Release of logback version 1.3.0-alpha10

Ralph Goers rgoers at apache.org
Mon Aug 30 17:45:55 CEST 2021

As I am pretty sure you are aware, we’ve been doing extensive testing at Log4j using these performance
tests and have come to the conclusionthat the way you have presented these results is terribly misleading.
What they show is that Logback’s FileAppender currently performs better than Log4j 2’s (we are working
on that). These tests show nothing in the way of asynchronous performance comparison since the
queues/ring buffers are always full and the overhead of having to go through the queue or ring buffer is
insignificant compared to the overhead of the synchronous logging.

While it is fine for you to claim better performance for the file appender in the specific releases you are
testing I would ask that you change the page to not pretend it is comparing the performance of
asynchronous operations as it doesn’t do that. You would need to modify the test so that the synchronous
operation can complete in less time than it takes to enqueue an event so that the queues don’t fill up for
it to really test the max speed of asynchronous operations.

Also, I noticed that you have configured Logback’s FileAppender with a 256KB buffer but left Log4j2’s
appender at its default of 8KB.

By the way, it is good to see you back working on the projects again.

Ralph