[logback-user] Release of logback version 1.3.0-alpha10

Ceki Gülcü ceki at qos.ch
Mon Aug 30 19:57:12 CEST 2021

On 30/08/2021 17:45, Ralph Goers wrote:
> As I am pretty sure you are aware, we’ve been doing extensive testing at Log4j using these performance
> tests and have come to the conclusionthat the way you have presented these results is terribly misleading.
> What they show is that Logback’s FileAppender currently performs better than Log4j 2’s (we are working
> on that). These tests show nothing in the way of asynchronous performance comparison since the
> queues/ring buffers are always full and the overhead of having to go through the queue or ring buffer is
> insignificant compared to the overhead of the synchronous logging.

While there might be better benchmarks, the benchmark presented
at [1] and [2] clearly show the impact of asynchronous logging in
the case of overloaded buffers. While I agree that
FileAppenderBenchmark and AsyncFileAppenderBenchmark in [2]
constitute worst-case analysis (and do not represent the nominal
use case), saying that the overhead of going through a circular
buffer is insignificant seems quite counter factual. The impact
of going through the ring buffer/queue is easily measurable and
very far from insignificant. Perhaps you mean insignificant
compared to geo-political events or at the scale of the universe?
Anyway, the numbers are all there to be observed by all those who
care to observe.

[1] http://logback.qos.ch/performance.html
[2] https://github.com/ceki/logback-perf

As for the pertinence of FileAppenderBenchmark and
AsyncFileAppenderBenchmark, even in case the queue is not
overloaded, there will be some contention accessing the
queue. The aforementioned benchmarks show this cost and are
therefore quite meaningful in my opinion.

Personally, I was quite surprised by:

1) the disappointing performance of the LMAX disruptor.
2) the non uniform impact of running the benchmark under a
hypervisor/virtual CPU.

I should also add that the benchmark was first and foremost
designed to improve the asynchronous logging performance in
logback. Believe it or not, comparing it with log4j1 and log4j2
came as an afterthought.

> While it is fine for you to claim better performance for the file appender in the specific releases you are
> testing I would ask that you change the page to not pretend it is comparing the performance of
> asynchronous operations as it doesn’t do that. You would need to modify the test so that the synchronous
> operation can complete in less time than it takes to enqueue an event so that the queues don’t fill up for
> it to really test the max speed of asynchronous operations.

I am sorry that you feel that [1] is not representative of
asynchronous logging performance. As explained above, I feel
rather differently.

While I will not be ordered around, I remain open to suggestions
including alternative ways of benchmarking.

> Also, I noticed that you have configured Logback’s FileAppender with a 256KB buffer but left Log4j2’s
> appender at its default of 8KB.

This is a fair point. I have modified the configuration files [3] and
will run the benchmarks again.

[3] https://github.com/ceki/logback-perf/commit/9736a37f76492b

> By the way, it is good to see you back working on the projects again.

Thank you.