[logback-user] How to configure logback to NOT truncate stacktraces?

KARR, DAVID dk068x at att.com
Thu Nov 3 23:56:30 CET 2022

I maintain a bunch of SpringBoot services that use logback to configure logging, and slf4j in the Java code.  Our log messages currently truncate stacktraces.

We're currently using SpringBoot 2.3.12, which pulls in logback-* v1.2.9 and logstash-logback-encoder v6.1.  We are working on upgrades, but I can't change these right now.

I'd like to be able to configure how much of the stacktrace is truncated, and reverse the order of root causes, so the "rootest" one is shown first.  I found several wiki pages on the internet that talk about how to do this, and they were all vague and ambiguous.  I tried one that apparently violated the expected logback schema, so it failed to parse it.  How can figure out exactly how to do this with the versions of artifacts that I have right now?