[slf4j-user] [slf4j-dev] [POLL] Requiring JDK 1.5 for SLF4J

Simon Kaegi simon.kaegi at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 23:41:57 CEST 2009

I brought Java 1.5 support up at today's Equinox meeting.
--
Equinox is likely to stay with a Profile 1.1 / Java 1.4 restriction for the
base Eclipse RCP level and lower for some time still. (at least until

The IDE platform itself will likely upgrade to 1.5 when we go to Eclipse 4.
We're likely to continue the annual 3.x releases for awhile still and these
will likely keep the bar set at Java 1.4 unless there's a really good reason
to bump up. This is the layer where most 3rd party libraries including SLF4J
get brought in.

I talked to the mobile/embedded VM guys who work down the hall here and got
the impression to not hold one's breath for a follow on to
CDC-1.1/Profile-1.1 meaning a significant segment of the mobile space will
be stuck at 1.4 for sometime still. I'm not sure if SLF4J is used in
mobile/embedded but it's something to keep in mind.
--

My fear is also similar to yours where we end up with two conflicting
versions of SLF4J; in the Eclipse 3.x scenario it seems likely to occur.

-Simon