[slf4j-user] basic MDC support for java.util.logging

Maarten Bosteels mbosteels.dns at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 13:51:18 CET 2008

> In light of what you describe, I think using XML as an exchange format is quite
> reasonable. More importantly, it remains aligned with SLF4J's goal of
> abstracting/bridging logging systems.
>
> You mention performance related results comparing XML formatting and Java
> serialization. I'd be interested in the figures.

I really should repeat the performance comparisons I did in the past,
but last time it turned out that
using XML as exchange format wasn't faster nor compacter  than using
java serialization.
But the results varied significantly between tests, I still have to
figure out if variance was caused by different JVM version, different
OS (tested on Windows and linux) or just because the comparison was
badly written.

But nevertheless, XML as exchange format still has the advantages I
mentioned in a previous post.
I will try to create a Log4jXmlLayout for logback really soon.

regards
Maarten