[slf4j-user] Structured logging using slf4j

Max Ng maxwindiff at gmail.com
Tue May 12 03:11:19 CEST 2015

Hi,

We have some applications which use Splunk for log analysis. To make better
use of the query language we used objects to represent log message and
key/value pairs. Now we are trying to move from Log4j to Slf4j and one
issue is that Slf4j only support string messages, so currently we serialize
key/values before calling to slf4j and rehydrate them at the layout, but
this is not optimal in terms of both performance and clarity. I understand
the reasons behind http://www.slf4j.org/faq.html#string_or_object though,
so is there some other way to achieve structured logging in Slf4j?

Thanks,

Max